From a yellow Labrador retriever who has spent more than half his life entertaining nursing home patients with funny tricks and antics to a group of volunteer barbers and beauticians who have spent more than 20 years providing patients with free haircuts, shampoos and styles, examples of volunteerism are evident in every THCA member facility. Why do people volunteer at nursing homes? A need to help others is one reason commonly given, but it is not the only one. Some volunteers want to fill free time with meaningful activities and still others volunteer just for the fun of it.
Whatever your reason, if you are interested in volunteering contact a THCA member facility in your community. Reach out and help nursing home patients. Locate a Nursing Home in Your Area today.
Opportunities to volunteer at THCA member facilities are numerous and may include:
- Planning monthly birthday parties for patients;
- Entertaining patients with music, dancing;
- Visiting with pets;
- Decorating for holidays and special occasions;
- Reading to patients;
- Ministering to patients;
- Assisting with National Nursing Home Week activities (held each year beginning on Mother’s Day); and
- Providing birthday and Christmas gifts.
Groups who often serve as nursing home volunteers include:
- Patients’ family members and friends;
- Churches and religious organizations;
- Secondary and vocational schools;
- Community service organizations; and
- Seniors groups.
Click here to read about THCA’s Awards of Excellence program individual and group volunteer winners.